Please read if you/or know someone one parole!

by Incarcerated Flavors

Who is eligible for a Certificate of Relief?


By law, you are eligible for a Certificate of Relief if you have not been   convicted of more than one felony. For this purpose, two or more felony   convictions stemming from the same indictment count as one felony. Two or more   convictions stemming from two or more separate indictments filed in the same   court, prior to conviction under any of them, also count as one felony.

The Board of Parole may also issue you a Certificate of Relief if you are an   eligible offender who has been convicted in another jurisdiction and who now   lives in New York State.

A Certificate of Relief may be issued upon an eligible individual’s release   from a correctional facility or at any time thereafter.

What effect does a Certificate of Relief have on my status?

A Certificate of Relief may remove any mandatory legal bar or disability   imposed as a result of conviction of the crime or crimes specified in the   certificate. The Certificate of Relief does not, however, enable you to retain   or become eligible for public office. Note that removing mandatory legal bars   restores your right to apply and be considered for employment or license, but   does not guarantee it will be granted.

A Certificate of Relief issued to you upon release or once you are on parole   supervision is a temporary certificate. This certificate becomes permanent when   you are discharged from supervision. While it is temporary, the certificate may   be revoked by action of the Board of Parole.

Who is eligible to apply for a Certificate of Good   Conduct?

In contrast to the Certificate of Relief, you are eligible for the   Certificate of Good Conduct even if you have been convicted of more than one   felony. You do not become eligible for a Certificate of Good Conduct, however,   until a minimum period of time has elapsed from the date of your unrevoked   release from custody by parole or from the date your sentence ended.

In cases in which the most serious conviction is a misdemeanor, there must be   at least one year of satisfactory community adjustment before a Certificate of   Good Conduct can be considered. In cases in which the most serious conviction is   a C, D or E felony, you must wait at least three years. In cases in which the   most serious conviction is an A or B felony, you must wait at least five years.

What effect does a Certificate of Good Conduct have on my   status?

A Certificate of Good Conduct has the same effect as the Certificate of   Relief. In addition, the Certificate of Good Conduct may restore your right to   seek public office. The certificate may remove all legal bars or disabilities or   remove only specific bars or disabilities.

The Certificate of Good Conduct issued to you while under parole supervision   is a temporary certificate. The certificate will become permanent upon discharge   from supervision.

How are certificate applications submitted?

If you have not completed your sentence, you cannot apply directly for a   Certificate of Relief or a Certificate of Good Conduct. The application is   submitted to the Board of Parole by Parole staff. If you are anticipating   release consideration or are under parole supervision, you should discuss your   desire to apply for a Certificate with your Parole Officer.

If you have completed your sentence, you may apply directly to the   Certificate Review Unit of the Division of Parole for Certificates of Relief or   Good Conduct. If you were convicted in another state or by a federal court, you   may apply directly upon release from custody to the Certificate Review Unit.

How are voting rights restored?

If you have been convicted of a felony, you lose the right to vote. This   right is automatically restored when you complete your maximum sentence or are   discharged by the Board of Parole. If you have been issued a Certificate of   Relief from Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct while on parole, you   may register to vote.

Where may I obtain more information about Certificates of   Relief and Good Conduct, and about licensing and employment?

Article 23 of the Correctional Law deals with Certificates of Relief from   Disabilities and Certificates of Good Conduct. Article 23A of the Correction Law   deals with licenses and employment of persons convicted of criminal offenses.   Consult your Parole Officer about specific questions you may have.

Download an application   for a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities or Good Conduct (PDF 1,181   kb).