END MASS INCARCERATION
by Incarcerated Flavors
Dear Justice Activist,
Thank you! You’ve successfully registered for the END MASS INCARCERATION: LET’S MAKE IT HAPPEN all-day convergence at Riverside Church in New York City on September 21st. The convergence will be a working day among activists, an exciting opportunity to collectively advance the cause of ending mass incarceration. We will hear about and discuss the effectiveness of various strategies, and then roll up our sleeves and make plans for doing some concrete collaborative work.
WHERE: The Riverside Church, New York City. 490 Riverside Drive/91 Claremont Avenue, New York, NY 10027 (at 120th Street). For driving and public transportation directions, http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/about/?directions. Nearby onstreet parking is usually available. Enter at Claremont Avenue, go to the information desk, and ask for Room 9T.
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Saturday, September 21, 2013. Light breakfast and lunch are included in your registration.
Agenda for the day is attached. There are two goals for the day:
- To gain a better mutual strategic understanding of how to most effectively change the criminal INjustice system (morning sessions)
- To plan ways of working together to achieve that change (afternoon sessions)
Morning sessions: To begin the day, each organization attending is asked to give a brief (3-4 minute) presentation on its goals and strategies. The presentations will be followed by a whole-group discussion. Please prepare a presentation that addresses the following questions:
1. What are your organization’s goals? 2. What are the major strategies you use to achieve those goals? (e.g., public education, street action, media campaign, legislative lobbying, coalition building, litigation, pressure on officials, other) 3. Which strategies/combinations have not worked well? Which ones have worked best?
Afternoon sessions: Three breakout groups will explore different types of collaborative work, draw up plans for implementing each one, and report to a final plenary which will confirm steps for moving forward.
1. Statewide campaign. Participants will identify one priority campaign that has potential for results in the immediate term, and develop strategies and next steps to collectively advance that campaign over the coming year.
2. Strategies for supporting each other’s work. Identify ways to support each other’s projects and issues through activism, education, outreach and social media; ensure that the approaches we take to our separate issues/constituencies do no harm to other issues/constituencies.
3. Statewide multi-issue action. Plan a collaborative umbrella action or public outreach campaign which will advance the multiple existing agendas of the participating groups.
See you on the 21st!
New York State Prisoner Justice Network and Campaign to End the New Jim Crow, co-conveners